Barrett House is situated on the ground floor of the historic North B building, looking across the Upper Quad to the Chapel. It was opened in 2005 by Dr John Barrett, the former Headmaster, after whom it was named.More information
Barker House is situated in the North B building up one flight of stairs. We share this building with the other two Day Houses. It was named after Mr W.A. Barker, a former Headmaster at the School from 1958 – 1975.
Since its foundation in September 2005, the House has developed into a warm, friendly place where pupils are clearly very happy to be. Boys and girls mix freely, as do the different year groups from Year 9 to the Upper Sixth Form. There are just over 60 pupils in Barker House, and it has been heart-warming to see their efforts to re-establish the best of ‘old-normal’ after the pandemic.
The facilities of the house include a common room refurbished in 2022, a work room, kitchen and changing rooms. There are also two Sixth Form common rooms in the North B building. Each pupil has their own lockers to store both their books and their Games kit in.
Barker plays an important role in sports teams, CCF, musical events, the many societies and drama productions, as well as on the academic front. We have many pupils who are hard-working in several areas. There is a chance for all to make their mark and there is a real sense that all have something to feel proud about.
We compete in all areas in the School and, whilst success is a bonus, there is enjoyment and growth simply in taking part. We are a House that knows how to work hard, play hard and generally have a great time. Most importantly we know how to get the balance right.
Mr Robinson is Head of Careers and can be contacted by e-mail or on 01223 508811/8988.