Search this Site:

School House

School House

Boys’ Boarding House for Years 9-13

School House has a diverse mix of people; all with different personalities, backgrounds and experiences.

  • Housemaster: Mr Michael Newman
  • Assistant Housemaster: Mr Bertie Beeching
  • Matron: Mrs Catherine Quinn

School House is the oldest house at The Leys, dating back to 1878. It houses 50-60 boy boarders and home-boarders between the ages of 13 and 18. Centrally located in the school, School House took up its current residency in 1989, before which it occupied what is now Dale House.

School House is an eclectic community at the heart of The Leys. A boarding House of 55 boys aged 13-18 it is proud of its traditions and doing things a little differently. It has the ‘Eyrar’ system of five House teams, where boys from each year work together under a House Under Prefect to support each other and aid in the day-to-day running of the House. This system fosters integration between the year groups and a great sense of community. Charity plays an important part in the life of the House and the Charity prefect is a significant role in the Upper Sixth.

The boys display all the talents you would expect from Leysians, and there are always sportsmen, actors, academics and keen cadets in the House: there is no such thing as a typical School House boy. The Swan Club organise teams for House competitions, and also take responsibility for awarding and recording Sporting Colours. The House also has 1878 colours which reflect the wide contribution boys make to the life of the school and wider community.



Mr Michael Newman is a Chemistry teacher and can be contacted by e-mail or on 01223 508965



School House Views