Lifeguard CoursesSUB MENU
We have qualified staff on site who are able to run NPLQ (National Pool Lifeguard Courses)
Download an application form by clicking on the course dates that you are interested in.
National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is widely accepted by swimming pools both in the UK and Ireland.
Every candidate must be 16 years of age prior to the assessment date of the course, and must be able to meet the following basic fitness criteria:
- Jump/dive into deep water.
- Swim 50 meters in less than 60 seconds.
- Swim 100 meters continuously on front and back.
- In deep water, tread water for at least 30 seconds.
- Surface dive to the bottom of the pool.
- Climb out unaided without ladder/steps and where the pool design permits.
Training and assessment for the NPLQ is split into 3 sections:
Section 1: The Lifeguard, swimming pool and supervision (12 hours)
- Element 1: The Lifeguard and the Law
- Element 2: The swimming pool, hazards and control measures
- Element 3: Swimming pool supervision
Section 2: Intervention, Rescue and Emergency Action Plan (10 hours)
- Element 1: Intervention and rescue
- Element 2: Rescue of a casualty with a suspected spinal injury
- Element 3: Emergency action plan
Section 3: CPR, AED and First Aid (13 hours)
- Element 1: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Element 2: Automated external defibrillation (AED) (Optional - 1½ hours extra)
- Element 3: First Aid
Once all of the 3 sections have been completed, there will be 1 hour consolidation and revision prior to the assessment. The assessment is carried out by independent assessors who have not been involved in the teaching of the course, and typically takes around 2½ hour to complete.
The National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is awarded upon successful completion of the training course and the assessment.