West HouseSUB MENU
With a lion as its emblem, West has a proud sporting heritage, boasting county and even international representation. However, we also take work and cultural contributions seriously.
Boys' Boarding House, 13-18
69 boys - 40 boarders and 29 home boarders
Housemaster: Mr Andrew Long
Assistant Housemaster: Mr Philip Blayney
Matron: Mrs Jean George
House Tutors: Mr Dominic Divito, Mr Alex Welby, Mr Kevin Arnold, Mr Max Kenworthy
West House was founded in 1878 and the current building was opened by the Queen Mother in 1961. Perhaps our greatest claim to fame is that the eponymous character in 'Goodbye Mr Chips' is based on a former Housemaster of West House, W.H. Balgarnie; the original novel was written by former West pupil James Hilton.
West has a proud sporting heritage, boasting county and even international representation. However, we also take work and cultural contributions seriously. Above all, West boys are friendly, purposeful and supportive of each other. The house symbol of the lion conjures up the sense of pride that the boys feel about the house.
West House is renowned for being the sportiest house at The Leys. However, our contributions to drama and music show the diverse range of abilities that Westonians have to offer. The diversity results in a positive and friendly atmosphere, which is welcoming to all. West House may not have the aesthetics of the other houses, but it makes up for it with spacious dormitories and views over the sports facilities. This gives the boys space to grow and develop as individuals whilst at the same time encouraging us to work together. The strong house staff is the backbone to the success of the house.
Max (Upper Sixth)